For a limited time, Family Tree DNA is offering Family Finder Transfers for $49, reduced from the normal cost of $99.
The Family Finder Transfer program gives those who have taken an autosomal DNA test with Ancestry.com or 23andMe the ability to import their autosomal DNA results to Family Tree DNA.
According to the website, purchasers of the Family Finder Transfer program receive:
- A myFTDNA 2.0 account (personal page), if a new customer;
- Autosomal DNA results uploaded to and stored on Family Tree DNA’s servers;
- Matching to all autosomal Family Finder results in our matching database;
- Ethnic origins results from our Population Finder program; and
- All standard tools and pages associated with the autosomal Family Finder test and the Population Finder program.
The uploaded files are batched once a week then run through the conversion program, and results typically take between 6-10 weeks based on volume. Customers are notified by e-mail when their results are available.
Why Transfer Your Results to FTDNA?
If you’ve already tested at Ancestry.com or 23andMe, you might wonder if there are any benefits to transferring your results to Family Tree DNA.
There certainly are benefits; having your results in multiple databases increases your chances of finding close genetic matches, since there is not exact overlap in the three big databases (Family Tree DNA, 23andMe, and Ancestry.com). Further, Family Tree DNA shares matching segment data with customers via the Chromosome Browser tool. In other words, you’ll be able to see exactly what piece(s) of DNA you share with each of your matches, which can be very useful information!
We don’t know how long this sale will last, so be sure to transfer your raw data to Family Tree DNA as soon as possible!